Ryan T. Hansen
Ryan Hansen practices in all areas of crisis management, civil litigation, and appeals. Ryan’s experience includes the prosecution and defense of cases and appeals in state and federal courts throughout the United States and beyond, including jury trials, bench trials, arbitration, mediation, and other dispute resolution practices.
- Prosecuted litigation on behalf of an industrial equipment and product manufacturer against joint venture partners to terminate interest in joint venture; negotiated innovative settlement structure involving stock exchange and assignment of rights.
- Defended a food company in litigation involving distribution contracts; prevailed on
multiple pleading motions on novel legal issues leading to nominal settlement.
- Defended a company in regulatory seizure of assets; obtained prompt return of assets.
- Prosecuted claim on behalf of a Singaporean electronics company to recover significant account receivable from Thai business; investigative efforts led to alter ego claims against businesses in the United States, jurisdiction in the United States for Thai defendants, pre-judgment seizure of assets, the appointment of a receiver, and ultimately recovery in full of all amounts owed.
- Prosecuted claim for breach of contract between business entities; investigative efforts uncovered embezzlement within defendant company.
- Defended a commercial contractor in fraud and false claims act litigation.
- Defended companies in catastrophic automobile accident litigation.
- Defended a company in a dispute regarding materials used by a prebiotic manufacturer.
- Defended a medical care provider in a dispute regarding a property lease and property
- Defended a large producer of carbon fiber materials in antitrust litigation and appeals.
- Defended a national restoration company franchisor in litigation arising from the operations of franchisees.
- Defended a company in a regulatory dispute regarding hazardous materials licensing and certification.
- Defended multiple companies in wrongful death actions involving a plane crash.
- Defended a tenant company and landlord in litigation arising from catastrophic property damage and injury to a third party.
- Prosecuted enforcement of a non-compete agreement on behalf of a company against the previous owner of an acquired company; investigative efforts, including night surveillance, resulted in enforcement of the agreement and a reduction in payments to the former owner.
- Defended a company in an eminent domain dispute.
- Defended a commercial airline in lawsuits and appeals involving plane accidents.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of a commercial airline to prevent the unauthorized resale of
airline products and promotions.
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar judgment in fraud and fraudulent conveyance litigation;
enforced the judgment and defended appeals.
- Defended an agricultural company in a wide variety of disputes and litigation involving various organic and conventional crops, waterways, and animals.
- Resolved a dispute between a manufacturer of farm implements and grower involving alleged defect in GPS aided driving technology affecting millions of dollars in revenue.
- Defended an agricultural company in a wide variety of disputes and litigation involving
drift, applications, experimental products, and research and development.
- Defended aerial application company in disputes and litigation involving applications.
- Defended agricultural company in regulatory disputes involving organic products.
- Defended a higher education company in class action litigation involving regulations for didactic and clinical training; negotiated innovative settlement involving settlement subclasses, some of which were bound to a streamlined arbitration process.
- Defended a major pharmaceutical company in multi-state consumer fraud class action litigation involving a dietary supplement product with a concurrent government investigation.
- Defended a developer of luxury condominiums in class action litigation involving measurement methodologies.
- Defended a major pharmaceutical company in false advertising litigation involving television advertising for an aspirin product; obtained a defense verdict after trial.
- Defended a national cable company in consumer fraud class action litigation involving bundled service packages and pricing; defeated class action certification.
- Defended a food manufacturer in consumer fraud class action litigation involving a probiotic fruit drink product.
- Defended a manufacturer of an over-the-counter dental drug in multi-state class action consumer fraud litigation involving product labelling and advertisements; obtained dismissal on preemption grounds.
- Defended a food company in putative consumer fraud class action litigation involving product packaging; resolved dispute prior to litigation.
- Defended a national restaurant franchisor in consumer fraud class action litigation involving advertising for food products.
- Defended a generic over-the-counter drug retailer in putative consumer fraud class action litigation involving pricing; resolved dispute prior to litigation.
- Defended an automobile manufacturer in class action litigation involving an alleged product defect.
- Defended a trucking company in class action litigation involving employment issues.
- Defended an electronics company in consumer fraud class action litigation involving multiple camera products; defeated class certification.
- Defended a major pharmaceutical company in consumer fraud class action litigation involving a pain reliever product; obtained complete dismissal as a result of pleading motions.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company in product liability litigation involving an anti-depressant drug.
- Defended airplane owners in product liability litigation.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company in product liability litigation involving diabetes medications.
- Defended a medical device company in mass tort litigation with concurrent government and regulatory investigations.
- DLA Piper LLP, San Diego, CA 2004-2020
- Baker McKenzie (law clerk extern), Kiev, Ukraine 2002
- Kutak Rock LLP (law clerk extern), Denver, CO 2002
- J.D., Order of the Coif, BYU Law School (no ecclesiastical affiliation); Law Review; A.H.
Christiansen Advocacy Award; Rex E. Lee Moot Court Best Oralist
- B.A., Utah State University, Beta Gamma Sigma, magna cum laude
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- All California state courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California